Sunday, October 14, 2012

Welcome to Hamburg!

I'm currently blogging through my summer mission trip to Germany! If you haven't yet, read this!

After a brief "early life crisis," as I deemed it, involving the usefulness of my degree in Entrepreneurship if I ever actually decide to open a ministry/outreach coffee shop, the Lord gave me a renewed spirit of diligence and productivity. I'm hoping for continued strength in that through tomorrow, since I have quite a bit to accomplish. The Lord is good, and I want to be faithful in living completely for him in whatever I do.

I'm also having some serious travel lust right now--looking at pictures (mine & others) of Germany, Austria, etc. while enjoying a nice beverage and some delicious jazz. My heart is so full of joy at recently hearing about the salvation of a teen of mine from this summer (a former atheist), Praise the Lord! However, at the same time I find my soul aching in a way I can't truly describe, though if you've had similar experiences you surely know what I mean, to return to this land where I feel so "at home."
Amongst the mixed-up mash of feelings, I am also trying to be steadfast in keeping Jim Elliot's words in mind, "Wherever you are, be all there." Here's an awesome video that helps remind me God has called me to this awesome city of Denton, for now. (My roommate and I had a discussion earlier this evening about reaching out more and ministering to our neighbors in the apartment building. We've both been feeling the Lord prompt us in this lately, but only discovered the mutual desire this evening. God's cool like that.)

 I'm trying to determine how to begin posting excerpts from my journal / online updates from this summer. I'm not sure if I should go the verbatim route, or choose pieces to elaborate on. Which stories do I tell you more about? Which do I leave as a list? So much uncertainty. 

For tonight, here are my list-like, word-for-word experiences from the first couple days in Hamburg. Pardon the awful writing and random German words. I was excited to be there! If you want to hear more about something I briefly mention, just tell me and I'll happily elaborate in my next post :) This is one of the only listy entries, so better recollections to come! Promise. Italicized words are added after-the-fact (now) for clarity.

"6/28/12
   29
I scratched out the date in my journal--I originally had my days incorrect for awhile because I was a little confused by losing a day in the 7-hour time difference. ;) 
Hamburg Day 1 with Katie
Yesterday was my day to arrive in Hamburg and be met by Katie, Andrea and Scott. Andrea and Scott were the couple that graciously hosted me for a week so that I could visit Katie while she was doing her internship in Hamburg! Blessed by wonderful travel mercies and incredible hosts! Spent a lovely evening at their adorable home soaking in the German weather, eating Turkish pizza and enjoying my feet on the ground. 
Today- SUCH A FULL AMAZING DAY. 
Jotting down notes to remember--too exhausted for much else. Though I didn't experience much jet lag at all, we started our day at 6:00 a.m. and didn't return home until midnight. Caught train, grabbed a breakfast pastry (ordered auf Deutsch!), saw the world's most amazing park in Hamburg, went to the HB Rathaus, walked around the mall, ate lunch at an outdoor Weinfest (ordered again!), took the train & bus to Stadtpark with the help of a wonderful girl named Vanessa, enjoyed park and napped. I did a lot of park-napping. It was incredible. Rode the bus & train back with the help of a nice man, it rained, met Andrea's colleague Svenia--SO SWEET! We had Eiss, Italien dinner, saw Repperbahn (Red light district), took the boat tour of Hamburg -- all auf Deutsch but very cool! Katie and I barely caught our train back, made the connection, and I talked to a jolly fellow in German. Scott picked us up from the Kaltenkirchen station and I'm pooped! Tomorrow-- Lübeck!" 


Okay, sorry if that was painful! Here are pictures of things I mentioned :) 



In the greenroom at the Holts' home! 
Holt House from the front!

Backyard view!
Holt House





Above 4 photos are all from the park!



Inside of the Rathaus (City hall)
Rathaus from the outside

Lunch at the wine festival
A very happy Katie at lunch



Chillin' with Katie on some steps overlooking the river (above)
With Svenia (who took us to the Reeperbahn & the Harbor tour)

Reeperbahn -- Prostitution is legal there, so it was very different
to see a police station on one corner with women lined up on the next

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm excited to read more.

    I love the greenhouse - so beautiful! And the city hall. And the adorable picture of you with your camera.

    ReplyDelete